Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Refurbished

"Damaged Goods"...

I was having a conversation with someone the other day and they made the comment, "Don't worry, you aren't the only one here who is 'damaged goods'." At first, admittedly, I felt stung. It wasn't meant as an insult in any way (it was said in a loving way), but my pride was a bit injured, I think.
"Damaged goods?" I thought, "Is that how I am viewed? I thought I was past that." Oh, how God likes to knock us off our little pedestal to teach us sometimes...

It is somewhat popular right now, in the world of technology, to buy what we call, "refurbished" items. I am not sure about most companies, but I DO know that when a person buys a refurbished product from Apple, he receives the same one-year warranty and, really, nearly the same packaging as a brand new item. Now, for anyone who has ever owned an Apple product, those one-year warranties are phenomenal! Anytime anything goes wrong on a product during that time, the customer simply brings in the item to an Apple store, the "genius" does some troubleshooting, and, if needed, Apple will simply replace the part or item that was having issues. I have never once felt stupid nor have I ever felt that I was inconveniencing the workers when I brought an item in to be fixed. If anything, the employees have always made it a point to show how glad they were that I brought their product back to them for a repair. The Geniuses understand that fixing Apple devices is not an inconvenience (even IF the customer may have possibly been at fault). Fixing and solving device issues IS, after all, why they are there. Something that is even more amazing to me is that their refurbished products receive the same treatment as their brand new items. Seemingly, they don't distinguish between the two.

Last year, a close friend of mine received a Macbook Pro for Christmas from her aunt. It WAS a refurbished item, but my friend didn't seem concerned. Why? She knows Apple. Their impeccable customer service, their top of the line products (even on refurbished items), and their commitment to their warranties, all gave her confidence that her "refurbished" item was just as mechanically sound and guaranteed as if it were brand new. You know where I'm going with this, don't you?

Back to "damaged goods"...
If the Apple company can take a creation of their own, damaged for whatever reason, repair it to the point of being practically brand new, and then give the same guarantee that they do for brand new items, isn't it possible that our God can do the same?

We are all a bit "damaged" and, yes, it is true, some of us are much more "damaged" than others. That is why I am so grateful to know that I can take my "damaged goods" to THE Genius for some troubleshooting from time to time. There have even been some pretty desperate times when I just needed to be "refurbished." How wonderful to think that MY Genius can fix my brokenness, repackage me, send me out, and then guarantee that anytime I have an issue, I can come right back for repairs. I don't have to feel stupid nor do I have to feel like I am inconveniencing Him because, after all, that IS why He's there. "The Lord is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart..."

Feel a little like "damaged goods"? Don't worry...you're among good company. I am too. God's currently doing some refurbishing on me at the moment. And, you know what I love about God's products? His are eternally guaranteed.

Hi, I'm Erica, and I'm a Mac...no...even better, I'm God's child.:)

No comments:

Post a Comment