Friday, January 22, 2010

Help! I Can't Sleep!

Well, here it is....for the past many months....or, how ever long it has been now...I wake up a couple of times throughout the night.  I do not...cannot...seem to sleep through the night.  Sometimes, I wake up with this ravenous desire to sit and eat a block of cheese (I know it sounds crazy...but, if I'm ever going to visit your house, you may want to lock up the cheese before I get there).  Other times, I am extremely thirsty.  Lately, I just wake up for no apparent reason.  Hmmm.  For the last 5 days, I have just suddenly woken up at about 3 am (This morning, it was 3:15 am).  So, I usually glance at the time...pray a bit...and make myself go back to sleep for a couple more hours.  Then, when I DO wake up at my normal time, I am overwhelmingly exhausted and it feels as if I never even went to sleep.  Strange, right?  After so many months of this, I finally decided to call my mother, the nurse, and seek her advice.  I received 3 responses:

Response #1:  "Oh, honey, maybe your body has stopped making Melatonin.  You should get that checked out because a lack of Melatonin in your body might lead to cancer and then you could DIE.  Maybe I should send you some Melatonin."

Response #2:  "Or, you know, you do tend to have low blood sugar...maybe your blood sugar is crashing in the middle of the night.  You really should get THAT checked out because it could develop into diabetes which could lead to blindness and, if not treated, you could DIE from that."

Response #3:  "You know what, Erica, this is EXACTLY why you need to move down here to Georgia with your family.  We could figure this out TOGETHER...because that's what families do, they solve problems TOGETHER.  I think the Lord is trying to speak to you here."

Why, when asking my mother about ANYTHING, does she always end with, "You could die from that."  or  "That's why you need to move to Georgia."  Well, I certainly don't want to die prematurely...so, what am I to do?  Perhaps if I started taking Melatonin, treated myself for low blood sugar, AND moved to Georgia with my family, I would see a marked improvement in my sleep cycle....or NOT!!  LOL!!!!!  My purpose in sharing this?  Not sure...maybe I'm looking for more answers...maybe I'm hoping to feed my hypochondria...or, maybe I'm hoping that someone will send me a block of cheese (I like Colby Jack).

If you ARE reading this, and you have any insight into my "Can't Sleep Through the Night-itis", please, please...leave me a comment.  According to my mother, this may be a life or death situation...be a friend...save a life.

4 comments:

  1. Funny post. I have not tips. Other than you are welcome to come stay at our house so that when you get up at 3:15 you can refill Eden's cup (and change her diaper while you're at it)so she doesn't wake me up to do it. I will gladly pay in as much cheese as you demand!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried plugging your symptoms on webmd.com? I find that to be quite useful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi this is Maribel. I just came across your blog. Neat. Anyway. I have been in this situation for years. Mine is that I can not sleep until 3 or so in the morning even when I lay down early, I just lay there in bed. And off course Daniel is up by 6 or 6:30am. So there goes my sleep. When I get up it feels horrible, I have even gotten bruises just from getting up, (I now that sounds weird, but it happens to me). I have a thyroid problem. I've had it since I was 16 but it seems that since I got pregnant and had my babies it has gotten worse. I know that insomnia is one of hypothyroidism's symptoms. Have you had a thyroid profile done? Some times they need to do the profile and not just the t3 and t4 that they usually test for. Anyways, recently it has been a lot of being thirsty too. But the cheese sorry that one I don't get. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, this is Priscilla Longworth. I am in the Philippines! I noticed your blog, and thought I'd put in my two cents. The same thing happened to me in college. A doctor said my adrenals were running overtime. He gave me something called Adrex-Sel (it's available online) which helped alot. I don't have to take it all the time, but noticed I need it more when I am going through a stressful time. Funny thing is I did not need it at all when I was pregnant! Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete